Following a Vegan diet is becoming more and more ‘popular’ in today’s society. With the help of social media, more and more of us are becoming aware of the amazing and alternative recipes that are out there which are so easy to make.
As some of you may know by reading about me in the chiropractic clinic, I am very keen on baking and trying new recipes during my spare time around Eastbourne. Recently, I have been attempting some vegan baking recipes and this one I would like to share with you is for fudgy vegan chocolate brownies.
Whether you are intolerant to eggs, dairy or follow a vegan lifestyle, these super rich, chocolatey and ultra-moist brownies are absolutely delicious and are one of my favourite recipes to make.
The recipe uses dark chocolate which usually doesn’t contain any dairy and substitutes the dairy content for coconut oil and soya milk.
I found the recipe for these brownies on Instagram, ‘lovingitvegan’ and have slightly adapted it to make it easier to follow. I hope you can give these a try and send me some photos of your brownies!
Judy’s Vegan Brownies
- 250 g Plain Flour
- 84 g Cocoa Powder (I use Bourneville)
- 200 g Soft Brown Caster Sugar
- 200 g White Caster Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Instant Coffee Powder (I use Kenco Millicano)
- 240 ml Vegan Buttermilk (sweetened soy milk and ½ lemon’s juice)
- 240 ml Melted Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 200 g Melted Dark Chocolate (I use Green and Blacks)
- 1 Packet of Dark Chocolate Chips (optional)
- Prepare the baking tin and pre-heat the oven (you will need a 9×9 inch square baking tin)
- Cut some baking parchment into a large square, grease it with dairy free butter and line the tin making sure there is some overhang to lift the brownies out at the end
- Pre-heat the oven to fan 180° (ovens may vary)
- (Depending on your oven; these are the main instructions from the master recipe, but I sometimes lower the temperature to fan 160° to stop the top from getting too crisp when cooking for longer)
- Prepare the Buttermilk:
- Measure 240 ml of Soy Milk into a measuring jug and squeeze in half a lemon juice
- Leave the milk to curdle on the side
- Melt the dark chocolate:
- Melt the dark chocolate gently in the microwave or over a bowl of steaming water
- Allow the chocolate to cool slightly on the side
- Mix the Dry Ingredients:
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder into a mixing bowl
- Add the brown and white sugar
- Add the baking powder, salt and coffee powder
- Stir all together to mix
- Add the Wet Ingredients:
- Measure out the coconut oil and melt gently in the microwave
- Add the oil to the dry ingredients and mix gently (it will be thick and take a while)
- Add the Vanilla Extract
- Add the melted chocolate and fold gently (it will still be thick and take a while)
- Add the optional dark chocolate chunks into the mixture and fold
- Pour the mixture into the baking tin and smooth down with a spoon
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes (more if you don’t like them gooey and have lowered the temperature of the oven)
- Let the brownies cool for 15-20 minutes in the tin before taking them out and cooling on a wire rack
- Cool completely before cutting (cut them with a sharp knife to get the perfect square cut brownies)
I hope you enjoy these delicious chocolate brownies
Yours in Health
Message from Lushington Chiropractic Clinic, 30 Lushington Road, Eastbourne
If you have enjoyed reading Chiropractor Judy’s blog on making vegan brownies please let us know by leaving a comment below. If you tried the recipe let us know how they turned out.
Call now 01323 722499