‘Do I need a new mattress’ is a very good question.
Many people don’t actually know when it is time to replace the old one. I’ve had people come to see me who have had the same mattress for 25 years and swear it’s really comfortable but just because it feels comfortable doesn’t necessarily mean that it is giving your body the support that it needs. Here is some advice on the main things to look for to tell if it is time for a new one.
There are some tell-tale signs that it is time to get a new mattress with some being more obvious than others.
- It has visible signs of wearing such as sagging, ripping, tearing or holes. These are typical signs that it needs an upgrade and you might even start to feel the springs digging in your back.
- You had a much more comfortable sleep in another bed, such as a hotel or staying over at a relatives. This is common because the mattress is a lot more comfortable and provides all you need.
Less obvious signs:
- You wake up with stiffness, aches and pains. Now this can be due to many reasons but your mattress not providing you the support you need is a very common reason and therefore worth investigating.
- It is over seven years old. Probability says that if you have had your mattress for seven years or more then it is not providing the support you need and it is worth comparing it to a brand new mattress by going and lying on one in the shop. The length of time a mattress lasts does depend on a few things such as amount of use and general quality when you bought it but on average you should be expecting around the seven year mark.
- You’re tired after a full night’s sleep. One of the most common things I hear from my guests who have just bought a new mattress is that they slept so much better than they normally do.
If you think that you might need a new mattress my colleague and fellow Doctor of chiropractic Victoria White will soon be publishing a blog post with advice on what to look for when you’re buying a new one.
However, not all aches and pains are down to your mattress so if you are suffering, give us a call at Lushington Chiropractic and see how we can help you.
Yours in health,
By Mykel Mason
One response to “Do I need a new mattress?”
Call now 01323 722499