As a chiropractor, I believe that if my care to my patients ended with treatment alone, I would be doing myself and my patients a disservice. I love giving my patients advice regarding exercise and diet, as well as other things that may help to enrichen lives and develop good habits. One topic that I frequently mention to my chiropractic patients at the clinic in Eastbourne is a morning routine. There are many benefits to having a consistent and efficient morning routine – some of which I will talk about here today.
All my school life and time at university, I struggled to wake up in the mornings and get on with the day. I definitely never considered myself a morning person, but I thought this was something that was just in my nature, unable to be changed.
In my final year at university, I started reading more about the habits of successful people, and one of the things that everyone seemed to have in common was a consistent morning routine. One day I decided to start my own morning routine. At first this was just three small things to complete before leaving the house to go to university, but soon it grew into a 60 minute long routine.
I stick to this come rain and shine, even at weekends. I strongly believe that a morning routine sets the tone for the whole day, so an efficient morning really helps me settle into the day at hand. On top of this. I find that in the mornings I have a limited amount of energy. This energy, and willpower, drains away with decision making. Therefore, knowing how the first hour of my day will go helps me to avoid mental fatigue and feel more in control of my day.
My top tips for a great morning routine:
- Place your alarm clock away from your bed. By being out of reach, this will force you to get out of bed and therefore you will be much less likely to just hit the snooze button and go back to bed for another 10 minutes.
- Drink a big glass of water as soon as you wake up. This helps you rehydrate after 8 hours without any fluids. On top of this, it is a great way to kickstart your metabolism.
- Make your bed. This may seem like a silly one, but having some small tasks in your morning routine that are easy to complete really gets you in the mood for a productive day.
- This is one of the most important parts of my morning and probably worthy of its own blog post! I’m quite new to meditating, but I find it helps to clear my mind and gain clarity. I use an app called headspace which I find helpful. If this sounds like too much, simply taking the time to take 20 deep breaths in and out is a great way to start this habit!
- Take the time to be grateful. Another habit I have picked up recently is spending 5 minutes to write in a journal. The journal I write in has the same questions every day, and helps me to be more reflective. The things I write about are things I’m grateful for, things that would make the day great and positive affirmations. The most important part of this habit is allowing yourself 5 minutes to think of all the things you’re grateful for. You may find that doing this allows you to gain a greater appreciation for things.
- Read! For many years at university reading was a habit I simply didn’t do. Perhaps I was too tired of reading after having to do it all day long. Since I started reading 10-20 minutes in the morning I have found that it helps to inspire me for the day ahead. The books I tend to read in the morning are on personal growth, mindset or perhaps even chiropractic books, depending on how much energy I have!
I hope these tips have been helpful, and maybe in the future I will see you going for an early morning run around Eastbourne before work! If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us here or ask next time you visit us in Eastbourne.
Thanks for reading,
Lushington Chiropractic is Eastbourne largest and most award-winning chiropractic clinic. We are based in Eastbourne’s town centre, with easy parking and accessible rooms. Our chiropractic clinic is open late and Saturdays. We have a lovely team of chiropractors serving the people of Eastbourne so if you have any questions do not hesitate to contact me on 01323 722499.
Call now 01323 722499